Quebec Skilled Worker
Quebec Government has started accepting applications under skilled worker program starting August 1, 2013. Wide varieties of education and occupations are eligible to apply under Quebec’s permanent worker program. Those who do not fit within the federal skilled worker program have chances of acceptance through Quebec Selection.
To be selected as an immigrant worker, you must, in particular:
- settle in Quebec with the goal of being employed there
- hold at least one diploma that corresponds, in the Québec education system, to a Secondary School Diploma or a Diploma of Vocational Studies
- have acquired training and occupational skills that will facilitate your integration into the job market
Knowledge of French is an important asset. If in doubt, we strongly recommend that you check your level of knowledge of French with a recognized organization. Knowledge of English is also an asset not to be overlooked. You can take courses or acquire more experience in order to upgrade your occupational or language skills.
Does your professional profile (as well as your spouse’s, if applicable) allow you to easily adapt to the requirements and rapid development of the Québec labour market? Check to see if you are eligible for the Immigration Program for skilled workers. The following employability factors will be taken into account:
- your schooling (your level of education and area of training)
- your work experience
- your age
- your knowledge of French and English
- your stays in Quebec and family relationship with a Canadian citizen or a permanent Quebec resident
- having a valid employment offer (this applies only if you have received a job offer that meets certain conditions from a Quebec employer.)
- characteristics regarding your accompanying spouse or common-law spouse, if applicable
Other factors that will be taken into account when your application is assessed are:
- the number of children under the age of 22 who will be accompanying you to Quebec.
- your capacity for financial self-sufficiency (you must sign a contract confirming your commitment to provide for your needs and your family’s needs for at least the first three months following your arrival in Quebec).
- your adaptability (preparation of your immigration project) which will be assessed based on the steps that you have undertaken to facilitate your socioeconomic integration and your personal qualities with regard to your work activities.